Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 10: And more Gum Trees! (48kms paddled)

Just before leaving Erbil, there was the possibility of a third traveller. Hi Z! I remember her mentioning that she looked on the website to view pictures of the scenery along the Murray River and commenting on the lack of variety. I am certain had she come, she would be saying, "Oh look! More gum trees!" (Note that that would be delivered in a somewhat sarcastic tone).
I would love to paint a lovely picture of kayaking the Murray... about the spiderwed lack connecting the trees on either side of the bank... of them sparkling in the sunlight... but it is a little overly romantic and divorced from some of the realities. Z would be right... there ARE a lot of gum trees along the river... and muddy/mucky banks to try and bank the kayaks on... banks mucky enough that my Haviana flip flops get so stuck that the little gold plastic strap between my toes gets pulled right out of the rubber bottoms and have to be threaded through again. I give my Havianas one more week on the riverbanks before I need a new pair! (And I have started disembarking barefoot).
Anyway, the highlight of Day 10 was a wallaby sighting (again by Dirk... he is faster at spotting the wildlife).... and a dinner of penne pasta in salmon cream sauce! I am getting better at cooking on the one metholated spirits burner that we have to cook on. The whole of day 10 was pretty lonely as we travelled through parklands... only one camper on the riverbank spotted us (and vice versa) and he called out to ask if we were students from a local public school. Apparently once a year, they send the trouble-makers of the school on a wilderness paddle to give them a chance to straighten out.

1 comment:

  1. So, have you straightened out yet, you two?!

    Ah...complaining about more rubber gum trees would be just what I need right now. Just what I need.

    Miss you, petal. (Geordie)

    ReplyDelete