Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 8: Southern Cross

There is no photo for this post as I couldn't take a photo of what was really memorable about Day 8... It wasn't the town of Cobrum (which I didn't get to see... I sat on a chair by the bridge while Dirk hiked into town for more provisions), or the single paddle boat we saw abandoned at the side of the river... it was the sky!
The last couple of nights on the river have been freezing and in town, Dirk actually brought back a pair of pink flannel pyjamas that I can wear over my other ones (and under a track suit). But this doesn't mean they aren't beautiful. We camped right on the edge of a riverbank... so close that if we stumbled getting out of our tents, we might tumble into the river. In any case, there were trees to one side, river to the other... and the stars overhead.... The were the most magnificent I have ever seen. Not like the sky in Canada,, but positively awash in stars... like sombody tipped over the jar of silver sparkles.... strewn across in one big arc in the sky with a few brighter ones here and there.
And this morning... more kangaroos!

No comments:

Post a Comment