Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 32 & Day 2 of the Second Half of the Journey!


As I write my notes for this post, I am miserable... just had a bucket wash as the river was quite uninviting - murky and with a steep drop - not easy to get in and out. And while bathing, I was slowly being eaten alive by mosquitoes. All in all, a day where Dirk would chastise me for being overly "glass half empty"!
But the day even started wrong. In the morning, I had to get out for a bathroom break and my leg sank halfway up my shin in muck as I disembarked from the kayak... and when we finally reached the little town we were so looking forward to (Weiman), it was disappointing.
Weiman was hard to find... at River marker 1066 on the Victorian side of the river, where the map said Weiman would be, there was nothing but steep red banks... and a faded sign for the Weiman store. No bank. No steps.
Dirk managed to get out and haul the kayaks up onto the bank onto an unlikely slant. We then were able to scale the bank using a thin blue ropeline someone had attached once upon a time. And there it was! One little store with a big tree in front. But more importantly, a water tank with a tap. If I want to see the Day as "glass half full", I guess I could at least concede that it is lucky we won't be drinking boiled silty river water!

No comments:

Post a Comment